Thursday, January 29, 2009

Facebook is for grownups now

My kids talked me into joining Facebook last November. I had no idea that grownups were allowed on that site! It was created for college students to get to know each other, as far as I know, and at first you had to have a .edu email to get an account. (I have one of those, but resisted the urge to join back then.) They opened it up to everybody some time ago, but I wasn't aware of it.

Well, I looked up one of my best college friends and sent her a Friend request, and that opened the door. Suddenly, college friends I hadn't heard from in years were sending me Friend requests. It was like a mini reunion! I find it amusing that, just like my kids, I'm using Facebook to keep track of my college friends. Those intervening years just melt away like magic.

Yesterday I was reading the Weekly Dig, a freebie newspaper that comes out on Wednesdays. I look forward to it every week, even though I'm way out of their demographic. There's an interview with a band I've never heard of called the Shills. I was on the subway and needed something to entertain me, so I read it. There's a quote in it that I'm just dying to share:

Interviewer, Brian E. King: IS MYSPACE GOING DOWN THE TUBES FOR BANDS? A LOT OF BANDS ARE BITCHING.

Singer Bryan Murphy of the Shills: I don't think so, no. I think people are SUPER lonely these days and Facebook is great for the lonely. As you all know when you get that sad friend request from some dingbat you haven't seen since middle school.



Facebook is great for the lonely? I think he's absolutely right. I have a tendency to believe that anybody who used to know me must have no desire to see or hear from me again. I know I can be moody and needy, and although I've worked hard to change this, the neediness still comes through at times. I assume that people only remember my bad qualities and forget any good ones that I might have. Facebook has been an eye-opener for me. Unlike other sites where I've been, my "Friends" are all people I've actually met, and they still seem to like me. It's great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do realize you've just given your children the link to your blog by posting it on Facebook?

These things go both ways. :P