Thursday, February 19, 2009

American Idol: First 3 finalists

The results show taped while we were out at handbell practice. When we got home, my son was the one who turned on the TV to figure out who got through. All I saw of the show was what he cued up for me. I hate results shows, anyway. And this one had predictable results.

Danny Gokey got through. Huge surprise there. Alexis Grace got through. Ditto. Those two were the top performers Tuesday night; if either of them hadn't gotten through, it'd be a crime.

Which leaves the third-place performer.

Ricky Braddy got a raw deal. The producers chose not to feature him during Hollywood Week, and he came into Tuesday's show virtually unknown. I think he was probably the most talented performer of the remaining 10, but he didn't get through.

Thank heavens, Tatiana del Toro is gone! She did a creditable job on Whitney Houston's annoying song about her affair with a married man, "Saving All my Love for You." (I bitched and moaned about that song last year, too.) But I'm fed up to HERE with her dramatics, and I'm glad they won't be back to haunt us any more this season. Not unless she gets one of the Wild Card spots, God forbid!

Anoop Desai didn't get through, either. He just made a bad song choice. I hope they bring him back as a Wild Card performer.

Brent Keith didn't make it through, either. What the heck - he finished 6th in Nashville Star back in 2007. He's had his chance.

So who did get through? Michael Sarver, the oil-rig dude. His personality (and Simon's endorsement) got him into the Top 12. He won't last there, but maybe he'll get enough exposure to give him a little extra income for his wife and kids. He's a nice guy. But I still think Ricky Braddy got a raw deal.

No comments: