Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's All Rod Stewart's Fault!

I was in the local CVS the other night picking up prescriptions. There was a Rod Stewart song on the Muzak, which I was tuning out because he's not a great favorite of mine. As I was walking out of the store, though, the chorus came through loud and clear:

"Leave Virginia alone,
Leave Virginia alone, she's not like you and me..."

My name is Virginia. I haven't had a date in five years.

Now I know why. It's all Rod Stewart's fault!

(Or maybe it's Tom Petty's fault. He wrote the song. But I'm a Tom Petty fan, so I don't want to blame him.)

I have a very small collection of songs in which my name appears. Up until this point, there were two: Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young", in which Virginia is a good Catholic girl he's trying to seduce, and Train's wonderful "Meet Virginia", in which she's a quirky and lovable and lonely person. I don't smoke, and I don't wear high heels, but hell, I'd like to have somebody sing this song about me.

I watched the video Rod Stewart made for this song, and I don't really get it. Why is she not like the rest of them? She might be moody and withdrawn (just like me!), but she seems to be functioning in the real world (also just like me!). This song came out in 1995, so I'm not sure how I missed it for so long.

No comments: