Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol, Top 5 Perform

Last night was Rat Pack Standards night. I'll admit I'm ignorant about the Rat Pack - I knew it was a group of entertainers that included Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Dean Martin and Joey Bishop. Except for Sinatra, I tend to think of them as actors, though, not singers. Wikipedia says they were in the original Ocean's Eleven. So I wasn't sure what to expect from the music, but I didn't expect I'd like it very much.

And it was pretty much what I expected - but somehow it was fun, too, and told us a lot about the performers. Jamie Foxx was their mentor. He's an excellent musician, classically trained, besides being an Oscar-winning actor.

Kris Allen continues to surprise me. He's one singer who has improved as the competition has gone on. Last night he performed "The Way You Look Tonight", once performed by Frank Sinatra, and he carried it off beautifully. His voice was clear and true, and he didn't flub any notes that I noticed (and I would have). Randy thought it was his best performance to date, and I agree. Kara and Paula heaped praise onto Kris, as usual. Simon, however, thought it was a bit wet. When Ryan asked him what he meant by "wet," he responded "Not dry." Uh huh. "Like taking a very well-trained spaniel for a walk...it's going to be safe, it's going to be quite nice, but I didn't think it was incredible." He didn't get the feeling from this performance that Kris could win this competition.

I wasn't sure what Allison Iraheta would do with this category. She's such a punk rocker at heart, with the pink hair and the outrageous clothes. But she was absolutely wonderful performing "Someone To Watch Over Me" (also sung by Frank Sinatra). She had such poise; she sang from her heart, and she made the song just wrenchingly beautiful. She is so talented, and Monday was her seventeenth birthday. It's amazing how mature she sounds when she's singing, given that when she talks, she's clearly a teenager. Randy thought it might be a tough genre for Allison, but he thought it was "da bomb." He loved it. Kara thinks Allison made some new fans tonight. It was beyond her years. Paula loved the innocence. Simon asked her if she thinks she could win this competition. She said yes, she thinks she can. He said it was a great performance, but he thought she might be in trouble. So I voted for her - only the second time I've ever voted in American Idol (the first time was for David Cook in the finals last year). My son voted for her, too. She's wonderful, and she's still in my Top Two.

Matt Giraud performed "My Funny Valentine" (which was recorded by both Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr., making it a double Rat Pack choice). Matt's the weakest performer left in this competition. He wore the fedora again (or maybe it was a different one), but it didn't improve his singing. He started out weak, a little off-key. This music just doesn't suit his singing style. He was husky; his voice lacked the purity I'd like to be hearing. Randy thought it was a hard song to sing, and it was a little bit pitchy, some of the runs didn't land right, 6 out of 10. Kara didn't think he was emotionally connected to it. Paula did feel the connection, and thought he did an excellent job. Simon disagreed with Randy; he thought it was the only believable, authentic song he's heard tonight; he can tell Matt loves the music. He thought it was brilliant. Simon has clearly got his head up his ass where Matt is concerned, I don't know why. I predict Matt goes home tonight.

Danny Gokey did "Come Rain or Come Shine", another song Sinatra recorded. He made a classic entrance, sauntering onto the stage as the introduction played, and he sang his heart out. I was surprised; this was the best Danny has sounded since the beginning of the competition, as far as I'm concerned. He was superb, well into character, and he gave a riveting performance. Randy thought Danny could put out an album of songs like this. Kara said he has the Rat Pack swagger. She thought the end of the song was the most creative he's been this season. Paula said "Stellar." Simon liked the swagger and confidence; he felt Danny came out to prove a point; his vocals were the best he'd heard from him in weeks. The arrangement was superb. It was outstanding. I've seen Simon quoted as predicting Danny would be in the Top Two, and I could never see it before tonight.

And finally, the always unpredictable Adam Lambert sang "Feelin' Good", a song once performed by Sammy Davis Jr. (and also by such varied artists as George Michael and the Pussycat Dolls, according to Wikipedia). He made a grand entrance, starting to sing on the red-lit staircase and then swaggering down the stairs and onto the stage. The music reminded me of something that would be played while a stripper is removing her clothing, kind of typical over-the-top Adam fare. It was a little tongue-in-cheek; he didn't seem to be taking himself or the song seriously. But he's clearly a performer, and he loves the audience. Randy thought it was a little too theatrical, a little too Broadway, but another great performance. Kara thought he was "confusing and shocking and sleazy and superb and way over the top, but I don't know, I like you." Paula thought he was superb. Simon thinks Adam wants to win, wants to entertain, and he made the best entrance we've had this year.

I'd rate the performances tonight:

Danny Gokey was the best. Allison Iraheta runs a close second. Adam Lambert has dropped back to third place. Kris Allen was fourth, and Matt Giraud was fifth and should be going home tonight.

No comments: