Wednesday, February 24, 2010

American Idol Season 9, Top 12 Girls

I've been a fan of American Idol since it began. This is the kind of competition I dreamed of when I was a teenager - a place where I could go and sing and be heard, be noticed, maybe even be encouraged and nurtured. Or maybe I'd be mocked until I cringed home with my proverbial tail between my legs, I don't know. I think I fall into the category of the talented fat chick; usually she gets put through to Hollywood, but doesn't make it into the top (pick a number) 10, 12, 24, 36 because she "just doesn't look like an American Idol".

Unless they do a Senior Idol, which I firmly believe should be done - only contestants over (pick a number) 40, 50, or 55, those of us who missed our chance when we were younger and would just like another chance to dream - I won't be able to audition. I don't have the audacity of 62-year-old General Larry Platt, who treated us to "Pants on the Ground" during the Atlanta auditions this year, even throwing in a few dance moves. Simon said "I have a horrible feeling that song could be a hit." He was right, too; the song is a viral sensation.

In any case, I love the show. I love watching the contestants grow as the season goes on. I love making fun of the bad auditions. I love the pageantry, the fashions, the misguided comments of the judges (when are they going to get rid of Kara?!). I love the songs the contestants choose, many of which are new to me. I've downloaded some of the best - my favorites are David Archuleta's cover of John Farnham's "You're the Voice" and David Cook's cover of Our Lady Peace's song "Innocent". I'm singling these out because I'd never heard them before and may have never heard them at all without their exposure on American Idol.

And now the preliminaries are over, and the judges have arrived at a Top 24 among the contestants, even though I don't agree with all of their choices. Last night the top 12 girls sang, and today I start my unofficial blog of the proceedings.

Simon thinks this year will be the girls' year. I tend to agree.

Last night's song choices were from some loose category like "Hits from the Billboard Charts", which pretty much means anything you want it to. I have a tendency to run down the performances in order. I think it may limit my writing style, but it's the way my thoughts organize themselves, so that's what I'm going to do.

Paige Miles was up first. I don't remember her from the tryouts and Hollywood Week at all. Apparently she likes to wear loose knit caps - she has one on in the clip of her Hollywood Week performance and in her interview. But she didn't wear one last night. (Later she commented that she'd been sewn into her dress and had been waiting to pee for about five hours.) She sang “All Right Now” by Free, which according to my notes, David Cook did a couple of years ago. Her voice is raw, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. She had some good moments, but at other times she was off-key and weak. I don't think she'll make the top 12.

Simon thinks out of all the girls, she has the best voice, but he wouldn't have chosen that song because it's a wedding-singer type of song. Kara disagreed, though; she thinks she put her soul into it. Randy agreed it was the wrong song. I don't think it's the wrong song - it suits her style - but she definitely needs a lot more polish.

Ashley Rodriguez, our Chelsea, MA girl, chose Leona Lewis' song “Happy”. That's gutsy, to do a song by Simon's protegee. It didn't show off her voice very well. She was somewhat stronger on the chorus, but all in all, it was a weak performance, one that might put her in danger of elimination, which she doesn't deserve.

The judges didn't think the song was a good choice for her, either. They'd like her to do something more original, a little riskier. Simon thought it was clumsy, and he didn't like the arrangement. He thinks she could be in trouble. I don't want her to go home so soon – she's got potential.

Janell Wheeler sang “What about love” by Heart, one of those songs that shows up on those “nobody should ever do this song on American Idol again” lists. It wasn't a very polished performance, and her pitch was horribly off in spots. In fact, it was pretty awkward all told. Randy says it wasn't his favorite song choice for her. It didn't work for her, but he still likes her voice. Ellen liked it, but even she noticed the off-key parts, and she's not a musician. Simon commented on the off-key problems, but said that at times in the song she sounded good, which is true. Kara said the song is too big for her. I have mixed feelings about Janell. At first I thought they'd put her through because she's blonde and pretty, but then I listened to her clips again and decided she had some talent. It didn't show last night.

Lilly Scott commented that she's been living out of her car and playing on the street. She chose the Beatles song, “Fixing a Hole” Interesting choice. She definitely puts her stamp on it. There were some very nice moments. Also some weak ones, but I think the strong ones dominate. That's what I like about Lilly; she's unique, she's distinctive. Ellen said pretty much the same thing I just did. Simon said she was the best so far last night, but he's not feeling much star power. Odd – of all the singers on this season, I think she's got the most star power. Kara said everyone is going to remember her. Randy loves her honesty.

I wasn't sure Katelyn Epperly. should be in the top 12 girls, but she gave a creditable performance of “Oh Darling” by the Beatles, a song I don't remember at all. Ryan said it was from 1969; I was in college then, deep into my classical music period. She was dressed in a kind of night-club style, her curly hair accented with a feathery barrette, and wearing bright red lipstick. Simon thought her song choice was interesting and brave, and he liked her a lot. Kara criticized her makeover – the red lipstick and the feathery barrette thing. I liked it, actually. Oh, well, after the criticism was over, Kara called herself a bitch...

16-year-old Haeley Vaughn chose “I want to hold your hand”, one of the earliest Beatles hits. She slowed it down into a semi-ballad, actually a good arrangement. I don't know who has covered this song; I suppose this could be somebody else's arrangement. She's doing great for a kid her age. I like Haeley, she's so charming and natural and just makes people feel good. Ellen said she just shines. Simon, however, thought it was a mess. I don't think Haeley's in any danger, though.

Lacey Brown chose “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac (I always think of it as just a Stevie Nicks song). I can't do this song because the range is so low. It doesn't fit Lacey's voice, either, and she raised the key a little. It was a terrible song choice for her. I understand why she wants to do it; it's a wonderful song when Stevie is singing it, but she was off-key and it was painful to listen to. None of the judges had anything good to say about it, either. Ellen thinks she's better than that. Simon thought it was quite depressing and kind of indulgent. But he tried to fill the Paula role; he told Lacey she has nice eyes.

Later, Lacey said she chose the song because she loves it. I'm pretty sure that's what Simon meant by it being “indulgent.” I predict Lacey will be eliminated this week.

Michelle Delamor is another one I don't remember from the tryouts. She chose “Falling” by Alicia Keys, one of those songs too many people do. She's brave to attempt it – or stupid, I don't know. She sounds okay, but I think she could have chosen a better song. Ellen thinks it was safe because it seems so easy for her. Simon thought she sounded professional. Not one moment that made him say “wow”, but she's done enough to get through to the next round. Randy said she should take some risks.

Didi Benami chose “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson. I thought this would be a good choice for her, but she's a little pitchy. But it suits her style well, and the song is definitely not done to death. Whoa, she blew the last note badly. She's got to develop a better ear. Simon thought the song was dreary and indulgent. He's missing a spark. “Where's the star factor?” Randy said. “It was so sleepy for me.” She wore a vest that looked like her grandmother crocheted it out of scraps of yarn. I'm surprised they didn't tear into her about it; it's so not stylish. The hokey outfit and the way off-key singing will put her at risk for elimination this week.

Siobhan Magnus, a glass-blower's apprentice from Marstons Mills, MA, chose “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak. I've never heard anybody else do this on American Idol. She sounded gorgeous on the low notes, and sounds good on the high ones, too. It was kind of all the same, though, too soft and not heart-rending enough. Simon said “You really are a funny little thing, aren't you?” She should be safe from elimination, although I think she could do better.

Crystal Bowersox, who in my opinion is The Next American Idol, chose “Hand in my Pocket”, by Alanis Morisette, which I thought was a great song for her. She put her own spin on it, too. She even used a harmonica! I have nothing but good things to say about this performance. Randy said she's one of his favorites. He's not sure it was the right song for her, but he liked her honesty. He's a fan. Simon thinks that she chose a song that's too much like her. She should have chosen somebody like David Bowie. But he really likes her and thinks she'll do well.

Katie Stevens did “Feelin' Good,” by Michael BublĂ©. She's got a very mature style, like a nightclub singer. Her voice isn't always true, but she's still better than a lot of them were tonight. Ellen thought it was too conservative, too old for her. Simon agreed with Ellen. He thought it started to become annoying. Randy thought it was too old for her, too.

The best three performances last night were by Crystal Bowersox, Lilly Scott and Siobhan Magnus. The worst three? That's harder; there were so many of them. Lacey Brown was definitely the worst, but Ashley Rodriguez was pretty terrible, too, and so was Didi Benami. We'll see.

Tonight the top 12 boys sing. I think eliminations for both are on Thursday.

No comments: