Friday, March 12, 2010

AI9: Top 12 Named

A couple of surprises last night on the results show. My track record wasn't very good this week; only one of the several people I thought might be eliminated actually got the axe.

The best part of last night's show was the guest performance: They brought back Matt Giraud and Scott MacIntyre from last season. Matt's a dueling pianist as well as an accomplished singer; he finished fifth last year, and he's clearly the more polished performer. Scott is legally blind and sounds stronger and more confident this year. He finished eighth last year. They played back-to-back pianos, performing a piece by the famous Piano Man Billy Joel, "Tell Her About It." I really enjoyed it, Matt especially, and I don't even like the song that much.

When Ryan called down Paige Miles and Katelyn Epperly to face elimination, I was convinced Paige would be the one to go. Two weeks ago I said I didn't think she'd make the top 12. Last week both these girls made my top performer list, though, thanks to solid song choices. This week, both of them had performed poorly. As I watched them, I found myself rooting for Paige. Although her choice of "Smile" didn't work well for her, at least she poured her heart into it. Katelyn hadn't even come close to making the earth move. So when Paige got through to the top 12, I was happy for her. For us, too, because we can hear her again next week.

The second girl to get eliminated should have been Katie Stevens. I knew something was up when they put Lacey Brown through to the Top 12 and left Lilly Scott with Katie facing elimination. Uh oh. Yep, the multitalented, quirky, unique Lilly Scott was sent home. I hope she'll do well on her own without the AI Machine behind her. Meanwhile, we're left with a talented high-school girl who should be singing in community theater, not at American Idol. Oh, well, it's hard not to like Katie.

Then we have the boys. Really, they could hardly make mistakes on who to send home out of this crop of shaky performers. As long as Michael Lynche and Casey James got through, I'd be happy. And, of course, they did.

Todrick Hall, however, got the axe. I'd kind of like to see him end up on "So You Think You Can Dance"...

And my one successful call of the evening? The mushy banana. Alex Lambert didn't get through. They had him left with Andrew Garcia, and I was convinced Andrew was going to be the one to go (which still would have counted as a successful call for me!). I cheered when Alex was the one to go home. Sorry - I still hold out hopes for Andrew, even after that abominable song choice of (cringe) "Genie in a Bottle" this week.

So, there you have it. Talented women leave, untalented men stay, just to make a balance of six boys, six girls. Sigh. It should still be a good season.

No comments: