Thursday, April 29, 2010

AI9: Wrong Person Eliminated

Okay, that could be the heading many, many weeks during the season. But for me, any person except Aaron Kelly getting eliminated would have been the Wrong Person. The fact that the axe fell on our Cape Cod girl, Siobhan Magnus, is just WRONG. Not altogether surprising, actually; too many people just didn't "get" Siobhan - her unique style, her outlandish fashions (remember the butterflies?), her shrieking high notes. But I admire her, and I hope we'll hear more from her.

It's just more evidence of who really controls the voting on this show. It's a popularity contest, not a talent contest, and the teen and tweener girls do most of the voting. So of course an under-talented, undersized, underage but undeniably cute male runt with a minor talent will stay in the competition longer than an extremely talented but slightly bizarre young woman. I wouldn't have voted for Siobhan this week, so I couldn't have saved her. My one vote (or even if I'd managed to vote several times) probably wouldn't have offset the tweeners, anyway.

But it never occurred to me she'd be sent packing. She wasn't the worst performer of the week. Dumb me. See "popularity contest" above.

Anyway, the Bottom Three were my top three, and the Top Three were my bottom three. It gets worse: next week is Frank Sinatra week, and the mentor will be Harry Connick, Jr. Siobhan would have been wonderful doing Frank Sinatra. Aaron will most likely suck. Sigh.

No comments: