Monday, September 2, 2013

Old Fat Lady Cosplay?

My goal with this phase of my blog is to inspire myself to live again, and not to give up just because I'm getting old. There were some things I hoped to accomplish in my life that I have not yet accomplished, and I feel myself wanting to give up. Will I ever write a novel that gets published? Will I ever travel outside of the United States and Canada? Will I ever attract another man?

I didn't go to the tattoo convention. When I read the website, I decided the convention wasn't really aimed at gawkers (although I'm sure it attracted a few). So I'll keep watching tattoo shows on TV and see what I can learn.

I've been watching a show on Syfy called "Heroes of Cosplay". "Cosplay" is a blend of "costume" and "play"; it's dressing up as a character (usually from a video game or a geeky movie) for any one of a number of conventions. I'd love to do it, but the show makes clear that old, fat women would not be welcome. One of the young women kept raving about how much weight she had gained and how she could only play the fat version of a character. She played Merida from Brave because Merida (an animated character) is curvy. This woman is NOT fat, incidentally. If there were any old, fat women in costume dramas or video games, I'm sure I'd be welcome to dress up as one of them.

I'd love to go to King Richard's Faire (our local Renaissance fair) in costume, but I don't have anybody who would go with me if I did. The kids would be embarrassed - and I'm pretty sure all of them also want to go in costume, but don't have the courage. I bought a cape last year, and I plan to wear it when we go this year. That's as close to a costume as I'm likely to get.

I'm a MythBusters fan, and this past weekend Jamie and Adam were at DragonCon. Adam dressed up as Jack Sparrow, and he looked amazing. (Jamie, true to character, dressed up as himself.) It just makes me wish I could try a costume.

My sons were at PAX Prime in Seattle, and PAX also attracts cosplayers. Once again, I really wish I had the courage. I will go to PAX East if I can next spring here in Boston, but I don't see myself going in costume at this point.

No comments: