Thursday, May 21, 2009

American Idol Season 8 is over -

And the wrong guy won. How do I put this? Squeaky-clean, married (and therefore assumed to be heterosexual), cute boy with a little talent overshadows make-up-wearing, probably gay, over-the-top guy with a major talent. Obviously the red states are full of people who can't accept somebody who's so, um, flamboyant. And they're all watching American Idol, and they're the ones voting hundreds of times Tuesday night. (I got through twice.) I feel cheated. Of all the seasons I watched American Idol, the person I was supporting in the final two won. Until last night.

For once I watched the entire results show, and I enjoyed it right up until the end. I turned the TV off right after I heard the dismal news. I'm still furious. But I'll get a couple of good downloads off of it: Allison Iraheta (the real American Idol in my opinion!) sang an incredibly beautiful duet with Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time." Cyndi was playing the dulcimer. And Adam Lambert, who should have won last night by a landslide, sang something with KISS (the first part I recognized from playing Rock Band, but I couldn't tell you the name...). Also, Michael Sarver sounded incredibly good when he performed with Steve Martin. I can't say the same thing about Megan Pain Joy; her voice reminds me of chalk squeaking on a blackboard.

I wish, I wish, I wish, that it had been Adam and Allison last night. That way, we'd have had a winner either way. With any luck, both of them will have stellar careers. I'll be looking for their albums.

No comments: