Monday, August 3, 2009

Cape Cod Vacation, Part 2

August 3, 2009

Here I am in the Box Office Cafe, drinking iced coffee and accessing their wifi. Technically I'm supposed to get half an hour of time, but it's mid-afternoon and the place isn't all that full, so I hope I'll be able to write about today before I have to leave.

I came down here for my breakfast coffee. They had Sumatran, my favorite. I brought it back to the condo to drink with my day-old meltaway, which wasn't all that great. I won't be repeating that experience (the pastry. The coffee was great.). Some things really aren't as great as they seemed when you were a kid...

I got my beach sticker and was on the beach before 10:30. The water was warm and silky. The sun was bright. A perfect beach day. I don't think I got a sunburn; with any luck, the sunscreen I slapped on actually worked.

Now, I'm down here by myself. The boys are in New Hampshire and my daughter is working in DC. I don't have a Significant Other. Everybody else at the beach seemed to be in groups of family and friends. But I didn't really feel lonely. I talked to some of my fellow swimmers, and when I was on the beach, I read my book. The beach was a garden of brilliantly-colored umbrellas. It was a time to savor.

I left the beach at around noon. Then I made my annual pilgrimage to the Chatham Jam and Jelly Shop. Yeah, I know I said it was overpriced, but I wanted some exotic jams for my English muffins that were on sale at CVS... I got small jars of ginger marmalade and peach melba jam. I had them on an English muffin with a salad for lunch. Delicious.

I've taken some pictures, but I think I'll wait for another time to post them. I really have overstayed my half hour...

No comments: