Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Cape Cod Vacation, Part 4

August 5, 2009

I'm sitting in the Brooks Free Library in Harwich, accessing their free wifi. (Should it be spelled wi-fi? No, that looks stupid.) It's air conditioned, which is an improvement over the 89% humidity outside. The temperature's only 75, but the humidity makes it feel ten degrees hotter. (WeatherBug says five, but what do they know?) If the sun were actually out, it'd be even hotter.

Yesterday I managed to get a slight sunburn on my back and shoulders. I guess I should have re-applied sunscreen; I was on the beach for around 3 hours. Today I'll just make a short visit, or else I'll keep a tee shirt on. I've made a goal to swim every day, and so far I have managed to do it.

I don't know what else to do today. After I leave here, I'm going to walk around the center of Harwich Port, but that doesn't take long. It's not as large as Chatham, and the center doesn't attract as many tourists. But there's a great book shop with used books, and I plan to spend some time there. And I'll probably visit the (expensive) yarn shop. I should go down to the place where my sister bought the inflatable whale... (in the early 90s, when I was coming down here with my parents and my small kids). Maybe I'll take some more pictures of flowers. It's so beautiful down on the Cape, even with gray skies. I plan to retire down here eventually.

This is the night I plan to buy swordfish. That was always a tradition when I came to the Cape with my parents, both as a child and as a younger adult. I want to buy a chunk and cook it on the gas grill on my mini-deck. If it ends up raining, I'll cook it inside.

No comments: