Saturday, August 8, 2009

Cape Cod Vacation, Part 6

August 8, 2009

The boys arrived at about 9 Thursday night. I picked up two pizzas from the Box Office Cafe - a Pineapple Express (standard Hawaiian, ham and pineapple) and The Usual Suspects - meatball, sausage, pepperoni and green peppers. They were both delicious.

Friday was our only full day together at the Cape, and the weather was perfect. I realized that I had never brought my kids to the Cape Cod National Seashore, so that's what we decided to do. I wanted to go on the Atlantic White Cedar Swamp Trail, which is near the Marconi Site, so we did both of them. They're in Wellfleet. The Trail is just about a mile long. We forgot bug spray, but a couple we met on the trail lent us theirs. The part of the trail that runs through the swamp is a boardwalk, so you never have to get your feet wet. After we completed the walk, we went over to Marconi Station, site of the first two-way transatlantic radio transmission. We saw a few seals playing in the surf below the site of the station. The view of the water and the dunes was beautiful.

In the afternoon, we went to the beach. It was the first time I've gone to Red River Beach that the parking lot was full. Before the boys arrived, I was usually going over in the late morning. We drove around the lot until a place opened up. It was high tide, and the water was fairly calm. We had a great swim - it really is more fun to swim with friends and family.

Today we had to pack up and be out of the rental by 10 a.m. It was another lovely day, not too warm or humid. After I turned the key in to the realtor, we were in no hurry to leave the Cape. We walked around the center of Harwich Port for awhile, then the boys decided they wanted to visit Earth House in Orleans. So we did. After that, we had fish and chips at Seafood Sam's (I had fish and onion rings). Then it was time to go home.

I thought the cats would be thrilled that I was home. Peaches was - he followed me in and out of the house as I unloaded the car, and then sat in my lap and purred. Zoe, not so much. She was probably too mad at me for leaving her alone. She's thawed a little bit, now.

No comments: