Thursday, March 5, 2009

American Idol: Third 3 Finalists

I suppose I shouldn't be applauded for predicting the obvious. However, I picked all the finalists correctly. (Okay, I made three choices for the third-place position, but one of them was right!)

Lil Rounds got through easily. She is a very talented young woman, and she deserves the attention the media is giving her.

Scott MacIntyre also got through. He's a very compelling young man; you can't help but like him. A lot of people will vote for him because he's blind and does so much with his life. I think he deserves to be in the Top 12, but he doesn't have the best voice in the competition, so he shouldn't make it to the Top 6.

Third place went to Jorge Nuñez. He sings well, and he deserves the place. Of course, so did Ju'not Joyner, and he didn't get through...

After the three finalists were announced, the judges announced the eight people who would be competing for the three Wild Card positions. Several of my favorites got in, notably Jesse Langseth and Anoop Desai. I'm hoping that the fact they were announced last means that they're the top contenders, but it probably doesn't. Here's a listing of the wild card contestants:

Von Smith. Oh, well. He reminds me of a Kewpie doll.

The horrifying Tatiana del Toro. I really hoped we had seen the last of her. I have no idea what possessed them to recall her. Okay, she can sing, but who needs the dramatics?

Ricky Braddy is getting a well-deserved break. He should have gotten Michael Sarver's spot, and it bothers me that he didn't. I cheered when they announced his name.

Megan Corkrey. Sigh. Her number 1 "talent" is that she's blonde and pretty, and it doesn't hurt that Simon likes her.

Matt Giraud. I can't remember much about him, except that his profession was given as Dueling Pianist.

Jasmine Murray, who deserves a second chance.

And the two I already mentioned, Anoop Desai and Jesse Langseth.

Only three of these eight can get through, and I can see three very strong contenders who would have my vote: Anoop, Jesse, and Ricky. Jasmine should come back in a couple of years; she's only 17. She and Mishavonna Henson and Stevie Wright would make a great set of finalists in a year or two.

No comments: