Wednesday, March 4, 2009

American Idol, Third Elimination Round

This week, I wasn't as impressed by the singers as I was last week. Except for Lil Rounds. She is outstanding. Let me recap the performances:

Von Smith – "You're All I Need to Get By", by Marvin Gaye

He's a good singer, but he's kind of weird-looking. Simon said Von reminded him of Clay Aiken. I don't think Von is quite that dorky, but he's a little creepy. Paula said he was spicier than Clay, and I think she's right. The judges thought he did better than he had during Hollywood Week. Even Simon said he sang very well.

Taylor Vaifanua – "If I Ain't Got You", by Alicia Keys

She's only 17, but she sounds much older, a very mature voice. Not a perfect performance, though; missed pitches at the lower register, and weak high notes. Kara thinks more of her personality should come through; the performance left her a little bit cold. Paula wishes she'd done a new song instead of repeating the one she did during Hollywood Week. Simon couldn't remember her from the earlier rounds; he thinks this song was very generic, bland. Randy thought it was kind of boring.

Alex Wagner-Trugman – "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues", by Elton John

Here is a kid with a decent voice, and he ruined this performance by oversinging and shrieking and growling. He was trying to dance, and I found it embarrassing to watch. Paula said “Alex, you certainly are the showman. You gave us our money's worth.” Simon said “We had fun watching you, just not listening to you.” The “ridiculous growling” halfway through was just stupid. “You're like a little hamster trying to be a tiger.” Randy didn't like the vocals, either. Kara said, at least he's being himself. She didn't like the growly shouting, either. I had high hopes for Alex, but I think this is the end of the line for him.

Arianna Afsar – "The Winner Takes it All", by ABBA

Arianna was one of my early favorites. She's got a great voice and a very bubbly personality. But this song was not a good choice for her. She didn't sound good on it. There were a few nice spots, but in general, it wasn't a good fit for her voice. Simon thought it was absolutely terrible, a huge, huge mistake, the song was too big for her, and it was a dreary arrangement. Her worst performance. Randy didn't think it was the right song for her. Kara thought it was dark and depressing, too serious, gloomy. She's only 17, so maybe she can come back another year.

Ju'not Joyner – "Hey There Delilah", by the Plain White Ts

I hate this song, which probably affected my opinion of Ju'not's performance. I like Ju'not's voice, and I wish he'd done something a little less bland and boring. The judges disagreed with me, though. Randy thought he made a smart choice; he loved it. Kara liked his spin on this song. Simon said it was better than he thought it was going to be. A little bit safe.

Kristen McNamara – "Give Me One Reason", by Tracy Chapman

I thought this song would be a good choice for her, but it really wasn't. She's avoiding the low notes by singing repeated notes an octave higher; I think she's made the song boring. It's better after the key change. Very high shrieky note just before the end. Kara thinks she's a great singer, but she thought she should have more of a rock edge. Paula thought it was safe. Simon thought the song choice was odd. He doesn't think she knows who she is. Randy agrees; he thinks the song is easy, but she tried to do too much with it. Used the dreaded “karaoke” word. I don't think Kristen will be back.

Nathaniel Marshall – "I Would Do Anything for Love", by Meat Loaf

Ah, my favorite drama queen! This is an odd song choice for him. I don't like his look – the headband and the pierced lip. I realize that spiky hair is stylish, but I don't like it. He's not singing that well, either. He had pitch problems. I think he chose the song for its rhythmic changes (slow section followed by fast section). Simon says “I think you probably would.” (implying "do anything for love.") He thought the performance was verging on excruciating. He hated the headband, too, and thought the song choice was weird. “At least people are going to remember you.” Randy is curious about the song choice. Kara thinks he should have picked a more serious song - but she wants to go to karaoke with him. Paula thought it was the Boy George version of Meat Loaf's song. I liked him better on "Disturbia" during Hollywood Week. I don't know whether Nathaniel will get through. He might.

Felicia Barton – "No One", by Alicia Keys

Felicia's the Bonus Girl; she got called in when Joanna Pacitti was cut. I didn't remember her from Hollywood Week, and I don't really like her voice. The ornaments aren't good, and she's got some pitch problems. Paula liked it, and she's glad they brought her back. Simon thought the first half was better than the second half; it's a bit copycat. Randy thought it was good. Kara thought this is her best look, she had a few problems with some of the notes, but she noticed her. I don't think she'll get through based on this performance.

Scott MacIntyre – "Mandolin Rain", by Bruce Hornsby

I like Scott; it's hard not to. His voice isn't perfect, but he's good and he's compelling. I thought this was an excellent song choice for him. Randy said the parts that were great were really, really great. He could feel the passion. Kara said he moves mountains when he steps on that stage. Simon wasn't crazy about the song, especially some of the lyrics, but Scott's growing on him, because he's starting to believe in himself. Simon said Scott's the one he'll remember. I think Scott had one of the best performances of the evening, and I hope he wins the guys' vote.

Kendall Beard – "This One's for the Girls", by Martina McBride

Another blonde country singer, just what the world needs... She had some pitch problems with the song, and I think she's a boring singer. Kara picked up on the wrong notes and pitch problems. Paula liked her outfit. (I didn't; it looked like a yellow trash bag.) Simon thought she probably did the right thing tonight, but halfway through he couldn't wait for it to end. He thought she could have chosen a song which better suited her voice. Randy liked the song choice, but it wasn't her best vocal performance. I hope this is the last we see of Kendall.

Jorge Nuñez – "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", by Elton John

Okay, maybe I've got a dirty mind, but this song's title makes me wince. Jorge has a nice voice, and he's good at ballads like this one. The judges had suggested earlier in the competition that Jorge work on losing his accent, and he did. Simon wondered if this was a good idea; maybe a little accent would be a good thing for Jorge. Randy says it wasn't the perfect vocal, but it was really, really good. Kara says he was born to sing. Jorge is my best candidate for the third-place position.

Lil Rounds – "Be Without You", by Mary J. Blige

This was the outstanding performance of the evening, the one I remember. She's very talented. Puts in her own little commercial at the end of the song - “Call this show if you just can't be without me, babe”. Simon said “Brilliant.” He thought she had great, great prospects, one of the best singers they've found so far this year. Randy agreed she's one of the best. Kara and Paula agreed, too.

Lil Rounds will get through. She has to – she's the best. Scott MacIntyre will probably go through for the guys, although he might not have the best voice of them. Third place will probably go to a guy again; there weren't any other women who were very good. I'm guessing either Jorge Nuñez, Ju'not Joyner, or Von Smith. Maybe Nathaniel Marshall, if his fan base is large enough. We'd miss his dramatics.

No comments: