Monday, August 2, 2010

Cape Cod vacation, part 3: Perfect Beach Day

Today when I got up, it was actually a little chilly, in the 60s. I went down to Harwich Port to see if I could get a "dirt bomb" muffin from Bonatt's - it's similar to the doughnut muffins I sometimes make, a cinnamon-coated cakelike muffin. They were sold out already, though, so I got a morning glory muffin instead. Then I went to Perks for coffee. They had Sumatran, my favorite. I love vacation breakfasts!

I managed to forget to pack dishtowels this year. What a perfect excuse to go to the Mayflower in Chatham! I've barely been able to resist buying dishtowels there in the past. They carry designs that speak of Cape Cod - shells, hydrangeas, starfish, beach chairs. I bought a hand towel with shells and hydrangeas and a great dishtowel that says Sand and Ocean. Then I came home and did my dishes. Okay, it wasn't the first time I did them, but at least this time I didn't have to dry them with a paper towel.

I poked into a few other places in Chatham, which was crowded with people, but I didn't buy anything else. On the way back to Harwich I stopped at Marion's Pie Shop and bought a small blueberry pie. Yum!

This afternoon, I went to the beach. It was much better than yesterday's visit. I was able to park closer to the main part of the beach, and the spot I got on the sand was great. I walked on the beach a little bit and took a few pictures. I saw two little girls digging ditches in the sand; it reminded me of my sister and me at their ages. There was still a lot of seaweed, but the tide was higher and it was easy to find a path into the water. I stayed in for much longer today. Nantucket Sound is usually very warm, and today was no exception. In fact, the air felt shockingly cold when I got out. I sat on my beach chair and read for a long time. Nobody was smoking near me today! I'm not really a suntanner, and it's usually hard to keep me on the beach if I'm not in the water or walking, but today I stayed for a couple of hours.

I cooked a hamburger for supper tonight, and decided to toast the bun under the broiler. There's a toaster here, but it's just for bread; the bun was too puffy to go in. Anyway, I left it in for too long, and it scorched a little. No huge problem, right? Well, it wouldn't have been if the smoke alarm hadn't gone off... I yanked the battery. I'll have to put it back up before I go to bed tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginny!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Harwich Port to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane