Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cape Cod vacation, part 5: Back Home

The last time I wrote, last Wednesday, I was uncertain about going to the beach. Well, I did end up going, and it was just as windy as it had been on Tuesday. But the tide was higher, and I decided to go swimming anyway. I had a great time in the water, jumping waves the way I used to when I was a kid. I took a picture of the seagulls sitting on the beach in front of the lifeguard's station, all facing into the wind. I thought it was funny to see a beach full of seagulls instead of sunbathers.

Thursday I met my sister and my niece at Dunbar Tea Room in Sandwich. We had tea and curried chicken salad. It had been raining, and the humidity was intense. We visited a "magical" gift shop, Lavender Moon, which was fun. My older son was on his way down to the Cape by then, so I returned home. It took him the same 3+ hours to get there as it had taken me the previous Saturday. Traffic. Grrr.

Once he arrived, we played Lexulous while we waited for my younger son, who was working until 9. We got sandwiches from the Box Office Cafe for supper. Finally, at around 10, we called my younger son, who grumpily said he had to work Friday morning. I wonder when he was planning to tell us...

Friday morning we had breakfast at (yes, again) the Box Office Cafe. It was very humid again, although not as windy as it had been. We decided we needed to go for a ride in an air-conditioned car, so we headed up to Orleans. We located the Old Jailhouse Tavern, a place my parents loved to go when my kids were small. I wasn't sure it was still there, but it was, although we had to resort to my son's GPS to find it. We decided to have lunch there. It wasn't very crowded, so I wasn't expecting it to be as good as I remembered. But I enjoyed it.

After that we visited Earth House, the aging-hippie Mecca that I love to go to. I took pictures of the minerals to show my daughter, who is getting married in March to another geologist - they plan to incorporate minerals into their centerpieces. I also bought a sodalite heart, which I added to the other odds and ends I carry in my pocketbook - snowflake obsidian in my wallet, because somebody told me once I'd never go broke if I carried it there; rose quartz, because it's supposed to attract love, even though by now it's pretty clear it isn't working; a cowrie shell just because a woman I didn't know gave it to me at a time when I really needed something to hold onto. Here's what sodalite is supposed to do:

Sodalite helps one to arrive at logical conclusions via a rational mental process by eliminating confusion and stimulating the intellect. It helps one to find a direction of purpose with lightness of heart. It provides for solidarity, fellowship, and commonality of good and purpose within a group. Sodalite encourages self-esteem and self-trust, as well as companionship and trust in others. It helps one to recognize and actualize one's true feelings.

(At least that's what I think it says on the paper that was with the more expensive heart I didn't buy. I took a picture of it, but it isn't in focus.)

Anyway, I could really use help with my rational mental process, confusion, etc., not to mention self-esteem and self-trust.

My younger son finally arrived at about 4:30. He and I promptly went to the beach; older son sat at home on the couch, being lazy. We had a great time in the water. The waves weren't as big as they'd been on the windiest days, but they were still a lot of fun to play in.

We ordered pizza from (guess where!) the Box Office Cafe for supper. Yum! A Usual Suspects and a Pineapple Express.

Saturday we had to be out of the rental by 10 a.m. We made it by 9:45. After I dropped off the keys at the realtor's, we drove past the Chatham lighthouse the way we do every year. We couldn't find a parking place, though. Was everybody looking for sharks? So we headed up towards Orleans, through Pleasant Bay. Lovely scenery. Oh, and of course the weather was perfect, on the day we had to leave. We visited Earth House again (younger son wanted to go, too) and this time I bought a shirt that I hadn't seen the day before.

We were in three cars, so we headed home. Since the Seafood Sam's in Harwich Port had closed, we decided to have lunch at the one in Sandwich. It turns out to be close to the Cape Cod Bay end of the Cape Cod Canal. Younger son had to dash off to work, but older son and I walked out to the end of the canal after lunch. I took a lot of pictures.

Anyway, I'm home now. I just wanted to wind up the blog.

No comments: