Thursday, May 6, 2010

AI9: It's all about the fan base

Not a talent show...it's just a popularity contest. That being said, American Idol voters FINALLY eliminated Aaron Kelly, who I felt should have gone last week at the very latest. Singers like Aaron stump me; why didn't he wait a few more years to audition, until he was more seasoned and mature? He could have walked away with the whole thing.

It also intrigues me that there were more audience members shrieking for Casey James (who should have bleated his way home last night, baa, baa, baa...) than there were screaming for Aaron. Casey appeals to us cougars (smirk), so we "older" women must have had a greater presence in the audience - and in the voting public - than teenyboppers. In any case, he wasn't apparently in the Bottom 2, although who knows? Ryan could have been manipulating us again. He put Michael Lynche in the Bottom 2 with Aaron.

Crystal Bowersox obviously still has a huge fan base, including me. I want her to win, not Lee DeWyze, who is off-key so often. (Harry Connick, Jr., criticized Randy's use of the non-word "pitchy". He used words like "sharp" and "flat" where I settle for the more general "off-key".)

Lady Gaga was fun to watch last night. Watching her is a kind of guilty pleasure for me. I think she's very talented, and I wish she'd come out from under those veils and elaborate costumes once in awhile. Not all the time - I love her costumes.

I cracked up when the Top 5 did a medley of Sinatra songs starting out with 17-year-old Aaron Kelly singing "When I was seventeen, it was a very good year..." He just turned seventeen! I hope he continues to have a good year! That same medley included Crystal Bowersox singing "The Lady is a Tramp" - which makes me wonder if, way back when it was written, it meant something else, not a woman of ill repute. When I was a kid (my dad loved Big Band music, and I grew up with it) I thought it meant something like the lady liked to bum around the country like a hobo.

Anyway, our Top 4 are all deserving candidates, even though my personal pick for the foursome went home last week (our Cape Cod girl, Siobhan Magnus). Lee DeWyze continues to improve, and Crystal Bowersox continues to excel. Michael Lynche is just such a nice guy with such a rich, velvety voice. And Casey James - hell, he can bleat all he wants, as long as he plays guitar and looks so eye-catching with his blond hair and blue eyes and sexy smile.

Next week is Movie Week. Jamie Foxx will be the mentor. I remember him doing it before. I know he's a talented singer. It should be better than this week was.

No comments: