Wednesday, May 19, 2010

AI9: Top 3 Perform

Last night on American Idol, each of the three remaining singers performed two songs: one of their own choice, and one that the judges chose for them. It was a disappointing evening overall. For one thing, there's a subtle difference between choosing a song you enjoy performing and choosing a song that will show you off as a clear front-runner. All of the candidates chose songs they enjoyed performing, which weakened this round considerably.

I'm not sure who set up the performing order, but it served as an indicator of what the judges expect the end results to be. Casey James performed first, which indicated to me that they expect him to wind up in third place. He chose "OK, It's Alright with Me" by Eric Hutchinson, a song that was unfamiliar to most of the audience, including me. I'd never even heard of Eric Hutchinson, which is a trifle embarrassing because it turns out he went to Emerson College here in Boston and got his start here. Okay, I don't follow the local music scene very closely. Anyway, not only was this song unfamiliar, it was lightweight, and it didn't show off Casey's weak voice particularly well. It had a kind of bluesy feel, and I can see why he likes it, but he wasn't always on key (something which drives me nuts - I don't know why the judges don't criticize him about it any more), and the performance never caught fire. Randy said “Listen, the funny thing about that lyric is that song was kind of just all right with me, too.” He wanted to hear more from Casey, something different, unique, interesting. He shouldn't have done such a safe, easy song at this point. Ellen babbled for awhile, but finally said she wished he'd really brought it. Kara thought he should have picked a more familiar song. Simon said it was the most important night of his life, and he compared the first song to the salad; it will leave no lasting effect on the audience. A “dud” song choice, Simon said, but he sounded good. Off-key is "good" these days?!

Crystal Bowersox performed next, which indicated to me that the judges expect her to finish second. She chose Melissa Etheridge's "Come to my Window" - one of my favorite songs, and the one I always thought I'd perform if I got to audition for American Idol (you know, when they do the Senior version, where all their contestants are at least 55...). I was expecting to be blown away by her performance. It was a perfect song choice for her, one that ought to have shown off all her best qualities. But I was disappointed. She started out with a brief harmonica and acoustic guitar introduction, then sang half the first verse and headed for the "just to reach you" part. I know they have to shorten these songs for the live performances, but the jump was disconcerting to me. I kept waiting for Crystal to come to life, to pour her heart and soul into the lyrics and let it all out. I don't know if it was the harmonica rig dangling in front of her mouth or what, but her voice didn't sound quite as full and resonant as it usually does. I still want Crystal to win, and the performance she gave wasn't the performance I know she could have given.

The judges weren't blown away by it, either. Randy "didn't love" the arrangement, but what he did like was Crystal's vocal on it. It all worked in the end. Ellen thought it was a great song choice. Kara agreed that Crystal was a little lost in the arrangement; acoustically, it would have been a little stronger. Simon agreed; this wasn't the most stunning version of the song. Simon liked that she still hasn't compromised herself as an artist. A very honest performance, and she probably made the right choice. “Congratulations.”

Performing third was the judges' front-runner, Lee DeWyze. He chose "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and he accompanied himself on acoustic guitar. He did very well, too, which bothers me, because I still want Crystal to win. The song suited his voice and style. It still wasn't as great as it could have been, but clearly the best of the first three. Randy said it was a brilliant song choice; he sounded amazing, and he's feeling he could win it. He's ready. Ellen said he took this seriously. Kara said that what he did tonight was what every contestant needs to do. “In my opinion, Round 1 goes to Lee.” (she's right, too, as much as I hate to admit it.) Simon asked him why he chose it. Lee said when he plays it, he's really happy to be playing it. “When I have a song I can get into like that, it's totally different than me picking a song that I couldn't.” He could have picked a more current song, but he wouldn't have connected to it the way he did to that song. Simon thought his song choice was "absolutely on the money."

Now for the judges' choices. I'm not sure how they picked which judge chose for which contestant, but I doubt it's a coincidence that Simon picked for Lee DeWyze...

Anyway, first up was Casey James, and Kara and Randy chose John Mayer's "Daughters" for him. This is a slow, tender ballad ("Fathers, be good to your daughters..."), and was clearly chosen to make Casey show off his vulnerability. They bathed him in magenta light while he sang it. I didn't think he sounded all that good. The slow and tender vibe was good for him, but his pitch control wavered so badly that it put me off. He had a guitar solo, which was good. Randy thought the song choice fit him like a glove. Ellen liked it, too. Kara thought it showed the more artistic side of him, where he's vulnerable. She thought he did a good job. Simon thought it was a better song choice than the first one. It was a bit of a lazy arrangement, though. He held Randy and Kara responsible for not giving him a bigger vocal moment. Simon didn't think the song had the “Wow” factor. He's got a point.

Ellen chose the song for Crystal Bowersox. I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the least musical of the judges got to choose for my favorite singer in the competition. But her song choice, "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney, worked out brilliantly. Crystal blew it away; she sang from the heart, she sang with all her voice. She went from passionate screaming to gentle sighs; it was amazing. Randy said “Great song, great vocals, and we've got somebody else in it to win it!” Ellen (whose eyes appeared damp) said “I couldn't have asked for more.” Kara thought she showed parts of her voice we hadn't heard until tonight. Crystal didn't use an instrument, which Kara thought was a choice that paid off. Simon thought she proved she had soul. She worked outside of her comfort zone, and she might be thanking Ellen next week for putting her in the final.

I winced when I found out Simon had chosen Leonard Cohen's overdone "Hallelujah" for Lee DeWyze. Didn't Jason Castro give this song its Idol moment a couple of years ago? But Lee rose to the occasion, and gave quite a good performance. It started out with just his acoustic guitar for accompaniment, but by the end, there was a brass band and a gospel choir, so it had turned into quite a production. Randy said he's been waiting all season for this. His biggest moment on this show. Lee has tears in his eyes. Ellen thought it was stunning. Kara said he's what this show is all about. He owned the entire night. Simon said he was very proud of Lee.

What burns me the most about last night's performances is that Lee DeWyze was put into the position of front-runner, one that still belongs to Crystal Bowersox as far as I'm concerned. Lee is David Cook/Chris Daughtry Lite. It's been done before. Crystal is like no other Idol winner so far. She's warmer, bluesier, and her voice is unique. She deserves to win. Lee has made a strong showing, but he shouldn't dislodge Crystal from the top.

Casey James should be eliminated tonight, and next week, we should be seeing Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze going head to head. Not the ending I had envisioned. This has been a disappointing season overall; a win from Crystal could save it.

No comments: